Wednesday, January 25, 2012

CEO of MY LIFE


I’ve been working since a young age… for employers and for my own company.  Like most people, I desire to be successful.  The definition of success is determined by the individual.  For some, it is having an 8-5 job that pays their bills.  For others, it’s climbing the corporate ladder.   In reading a blog from my former employer’s CEO, who states he missed some important times with his family for work and is proud of being the CEO of a multi-million dollar company. He stated, “I could not attend the holidays at our (second) home. (I) had to make sure one more deal closed before the end of the quarter.”

I believe in working hard, but being there for my family during the “life” moments is my true definition of success.  While success in business means making sacrifices…   what are you willing to give up for a deal? And how important is your presence to your family – do you think they would pick a second home over you “being there”?

1 comment:

  1. Very well put. There are alot of interpretations out there of what is and what is not important when it comes to our careers. While working hard is important, being there for your family is equally important, which leaves this interpretation of what being there means. Well, it means a lot of different things to a lot of different people. For some always working away from home but providing for your family is being there, may not be physically but financially perhaps. Working your way up the ladder has its ups and downs. Ups, more pay, more benefits, downs, away from home more. I guess I could only speak for myself in saying that I want both. I want to make a decent income for my daughter but want to be there for her and her functions and activities. I can honestly say that I am doing okay, while working 4 days a week making a decent salary, I am still able to be there for my daughter with school functions, homework, sports etc. While I would love to make more money working the same hours, I can at least say for now I am happy with it. I think at the first hint of me having a job where I was away a lot and it affected my daughter, I would change it immediately.

    ReplyDelete